Amr bil Ma’ruf applies to all the Wajib acts of Islam which have all been called Ma’ruf. i.e. Salaa, Sawm, Khums, Zakaa, Hijab, good akhlaq… Amr bil Ma’ruf is Wajib the first time and Mustahab the second time.
It becomes Wajib when:
- One knows what is right and wrong.
- One has some hope that the advice will be followed.
- The person who is being advised insists on doing wrong.
- One knows that by giving advice, one will not come to harm. However, if the basic faith of Muslims is in danger, then it is Wajib upon everyone to do Amr bil Ma’ruf even though by doing so one may come to harm
Nahyi anil Munkar is done in four stages:
- First by facial expression showing dislike of the deed which is haram.
- By words of advice.
- Warnings or angry words.
- By use of physical action to stop the haram act provided one does not get hurt in the process.