"Indeed the religion (deen) with Allah is Islam"
The word deen which is translated as religion is used in several contexts.
- Belief in the Creator and all the acts of worship, which are inter-related to belief.
- Judgement, law, order and all the inter-related beliefs in the life hereafter.
- Character, wisdom or habit.
Therefore the word deen means conduct based upon spirituals ideals which we call Aq'aaid - Beliefs.
Aq'aaid is the plural of aqeeda which means belief. It is the belief in the five roots of Religion.
In essence there are three:
- Tawheed - Concept of monotheism and the fundamental basis of religion. With it is ‘adl, which is the justice of God.
- Nabuwwa - In order to reach our full potential, Divinity has sent Prophets to guide humankind. Nabuwwa is intrinsically linked with Imama which means leadership.
- Qiyama is the belief in eternal life, also known as resurrection.
Belief can be based on two different foundations:
- Tahqeeq - To verify through investigation and study.
- Taqleed - To imitate and to follow.
Our aqaaid is based on tahqeeq according to one's own intellectual ability. One cannot do taqleed in usool. Just as we build a house; religion builds an individual. The foundation has to be strong and stable in order to sustain the building. In the same way; beliefs (aqaaid) must be strong to be able to build a strong character, to organise a reformed Islamic society and to enable an individual to recognise the self.